Process Development & Engineering
AFC’s Process Development & Engineering Group provides the
expertise necessary to take a chemical process from the laboratory
to commercial-scale production. We design and develop novel synthetic
routes to efficiently produce our customer’s target molecules by emphasizing process safety, efficiency, economics, scale-up feasibility, reliability and throughput optimization.
Additionally, the Process Development & Engineering Group supports customers in process optimization, technology transfer, process validation and process intensification.
AFC’s R&D group is fully equipped to support the laboratory evaluation and initial scale-up of multi-step chemical processes, including AFC’s specialized technologies:
- Eleven fully-equipped research and development laboratories:
- One dedicated high-containment laboratory
- Two SMB/chromatographic separations laboratories
- One kilo lab laboratory with six bench-top hoods, two walk-in hoods and four remote bays for the initial evaluation and scale-up of hazardous chemistry
- Hazards evaluation equipment including RC-1, DSC
TGA, Rotary Friction and Impact Sensitivity
- Analytical capability, separately maintained and operated from Quality Control, including HPLC, LC-MS, GC, IC, light polarizing microscopy, polarimetry, NMR, KF (300 MHz, multi nuclei) and automated titration
- Route selection and process development capability from gram to kilogram scale, including jacketed reactors ranging from 25 mL to 50 L scale
- AFC’s process development and engineering group is comprised of chemists and chemical engineers with extensive experience in the development and engineering of a wide range of chemistries. Specific experience includes expertise in hazardous chemistry, handling highly toxic materials, SMB and other chromatographic separations, continuous process development and multi-step organic synthesis.